Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What I'm Reading Monday - Ok, it's really Tuesday...

I'm one day late on posting this. Blame not having students yesterday. When Monday is a no student day, I get thrown off and forget to do things (like post this list or update my Wiki...). This week I decided I was going to get books finished that I had started a while ago. I've got two at home that I've been reading forever; one I finally finished. The other one is still gathering dust (literally); I'm not sure if I'll ever finish that one.

Home

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon - This takes place in the future in London and is in an alternate reality. There was an event during Victorian England (end of the 19th century) that veered what we know as history off its real course. Paige is the main character and is a clairvoyant (she can walk through people's dreams). Everything is tightly monitored by the Scion (the government), but Paige is captured, arrested, and whisked off to Oxford - which has been in quarantine or off-limits for almost two centuries. That's as far as I've gotten in it.

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein - I need to reread these, and I decided that I'd start them today. I don't know how long I'll stick with it, though.


School

The Eye of Minds by James Dashner (the guy who wrote the Maze Runner series) - I've just started this book, so I don't have much of an opinion on it. It takes place in a future where almost everyone is in a virtual reality game. From what I can tell, there's a guy who is trying to control people inside of it, and there's a government agency trying to fight it.

Finished

Fire & Ash by Jonathan Maberry - This was a good ending to the Rot & Ruin series (I've got all of them if you're interested). There were some points that were confusing, and I didn't think everything was well explained. But, I still enjoyed reading the series.

I, Q #4: The Alamo by Roland Smith - I started this series this spring and was immediately hooked. I had to read them back to back because each one left off with a cliffhanger. However, I wasn't as sucked into this one. I think it had just been too long, and I had forgotten some of the things that had happened to Q and Angela after they had been sucked into a plot to help capture terrorists. It was nice because there was a refresher on the characters and the plot up until now. I still like this series, but I think I may wait to read the next one until the entire series is finished.

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult - I started this one a long time ago. It's one of the Iowa High School book award nominees, but I'm not going to book talk it nor will I put it on my shelves. Now, I know this seems somewhat hypocritical because you know my feelings on banning books. But, I really don't feel comfortable having this one in my classroom. I'm not telling you that you can't read it, but I also don't think it is quite age appropriate for 14 to 15 year olds. This wasn't one of my favorites of hers, either. I'm not going to go into details about it - if you want to know more, check it out on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment