Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Oh, Hannah

I would never say that any of these things that have happened to Hannah aren't horrible - especially when you add them together. But, I don't think she went about trying to solve them or get over them in the right way. Actually, I don't think she even tried to solve them at all. Instead, she chose to just let them fester inside of her, which made everything worse.

I really don't think she did a good job of advocating for herself or trying to get help. Yes, she went to Mr. Porter, but was he the best choice? Why didn't she try other teachers? The one from peer communications probably would have been a much better choice. She really seemed like she wanted to help her students. I don't think Mr. Porter felt the same way.

She also shouldn't have given up after only talking to her parents once. It is understandable that they were caught up in their own problems. But she was their only child. She needed to make them see that she really needed them. It's like I tell you guys all the time - I'm not a mind reader; I can't help you if you don't make it clear you need help. Sometimes, you have to really "scream" to be heard - and I'm not convinced Hannah did that.

I'm not fully blaming Hannah. It's obvious she was struggling with some serious issues, and that can cloud your thinking and judgment. But, I don't think she also truly tried to get help.

Like Dumbledore said: Help is always there for those who ask. (OK, that's paraphrased, but you get my gist). And, I'm not so convinced Hannah really asked.



No comments:

Post a Comment