Monday, November 24, 2014

Week in Review - Clearing Out the Reading Pile

I made myself stick to books this week and got some that had been sitting around read. It's a huge accomplishment. Now I'm ready for break so I can plow through even more of my stack.

At school

Shooting Kabul by NH Senzai - Just started this today during reading class. Fadi and his family have just escaped Taliban controlled Afghanistan, but his six-year-old sister got lost in the shuffle and doesn't get to go on the move with them to California. Fadi is trying to figure out how to get Miriam back to her family.

At home

I just finished one last night before I went to bed, so I'm not working on anything yet. I did pull one out of my TBR pile, though.

Finished

The Big Crunch by Pete Hautman - This book takes place over the course of a year and is divided by seasons. Fall: Boy and girl meet. Winter: Boy and girl fall in love. Spring: Girl moves away; boy does some boneheaded things. Summer: Boy and girl hope to reunite. Good if you liked Eleanor & Park.

Tape by Steven Camden - This one is really hard to explain. Amelia has to live with her grandma after her parents die in 2013. She finds a box of old cassette tapes and is inexplicably drawn to them. In 1993, Ryan is dealing with his father getting remarried and a new stepbrother after his mom died. He makes some mixtapes and then records a note to his mom. To throw another twist into his life, he's inexplicably drawn to the new girl who is staying with her grandmother. Not sure how I feel about this one yet. It would be good if you liked The Future of Us.

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson - Noah and Jude are twins who are inseparable at 13. They think the same things even though Noah is a bit timid and Jude is a daredevil. Then something happens that tears them apart. Noah narrates their 13-year-old life, and Jude narrates their 16-year-old life. As 16 year olds, they also have to deal with their mom's death. Noah changes a lot, and Jude is struggling with her fancy art school and her new mentor.

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - Loved this book so much. The idea of not making superheroes into heroes but villains instead is completely intriguing. Sanderson's writing is beautiful and does a great job of really putting you into the series. Good if you liked Gone. Can't wait for the second one in the series.

Up Next

No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale: This is has been in my "I need to buy this" list for quite a while. But who wouldn't want to check out a book with a cover like this:
It's about a murder that happens in a small town. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Here's some others I'm going to try to read over break:
Althea & Oliver
The Prince Lestat 

No comments:

Post a Comment