Monday, November 17, 2014

Reading Week in Review - Reading Hangover

It's been an odd week for reading for me. Reading The Bell Jar put me into a funk. Not in a bad way - but when I REALLY like a book and really enjoy the writing - everything I try to read after it for a while falls very short and leaves me wanting something better. Finding books like that is fabulous - and honestly probably doesn't happen enough, but man is the "comedown" horrible. I've been slowly trying to read a few pages at night, and all I can think is "This is nothing like The Bell Jar. I want something better!" It's a horrible feeling. Especially when I'm pretty sure the books I'm reading are good; they just aren't AS good, so I judge them for that. Totally not fair to the book or the author.

At school

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - My husband has been trying to get me to read this since it came out. It was at the book fair, so I decided to grab it. I finally started it last week, and despite my book funk, this is a really good book. People have become "epics" (basically superheroes) but most are using their powers for bad and trying to control the normal people. This reminds me a lot of the TV series Heroes. Good if you liked the Gone series.

At home

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson - I loved Jandy's The Sky Is Everywhere, and a lot of bloggers have been bragging about how great this book was. I have to admit that it looked interesting - twins that were practically inseparable and then three years later have nothing do with each other? Sure, why not. Nelson writes this in a different format, too. She has one twin the story from when they were inseparable, and then the next chapter is three years later from the other's point of view. You have no idea why they aren't talking anymore. It's been an interesting puzzle to piece together.

Finished

Enclave by Ann Aguirre - This was very high paced and high action. It was a great blend of zombie (which I don't typically like) and post-apocalyptic. Consider it a mash up of The Hunger Games and The Enemy series. 

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - I'm going to do a separate post about this book because it was so good. I'm still kicking myself for waiting for so many years to read it because it definitely is now one of my favorite books. And mostly for the writing in it because it was so beautiful.

Up next

I'm really not sure yet. I think it is time to randomly pick something from my to-be read piles. Goodness knows they are tall enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment