Monday, September 15, 2014

IMWAYR - A Mixed Bag


Not much got read at school, and I didn't read much at home until the weekend. I'm going to blame homecoming for that. I'm hoping to get some of these finished this week that I've been dragging out because there does come a point where I will stop reading because it has been too long.

At school

Still working on The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare; I'm a lot farther in it, and I'm really enjoying it. It's high paced, and keeps you wondering what's really going on as you read through. It gives you some bread crumbs but just enough to keep you reading to get to the next one.

At home

The Magicians  by Lev Grossman - I started this yesterday, so I'm not very far into it. It is the first in a trilogy, and I was lucky because all three books are now out. Quinton Coldwater is thrust into a magical college and is trying to get his bearings. It reminds me of Harry Potter if Harry went to Hogwarts at 19 and was a little crankier. I am going to have to get a copy of it for the classroom (I got it on Kindle) because I think several of you would enjoy it.

I'm also still working through Dreams of Gods and Monsters, although I really haven't read any more of it in about two weeks.

Audiobook

Same as the past entries. I did use this month's credit for the second in the Delirium series, and I'm much closer to this one being finished.

Finished

Plan B by Jonathan Tropper - Four friends kidnap their movie star college friend to stage an intervention and get him off cocaine. The four sober ones realize that they've also gone up to upstate New York to detox for their own reasons. I REALLY love Tropper's writing. I read him for the first time this summer and have devoured the rest of his books.

Dollbaby by Laura Lane McNeal 
Here's the write up from Goodreads:
"When Ibby Bell’s father dies unexpectedly in the summer of 1964, her mother unceremoniously deposits Ibby with her eccentric grandmother Fannie and throws in her father’s urn for good measure. Fannie’s New Orleans house is like no place Ibby has ever been—and Fannie, who has a tendency to end up in the local asylum—is like no one she has ever met. Fortunately, Fannie’s black cook, Queenie, and her smart-mouthed daughter, Dollbaby, take it upon themselves to initiate Ibby into the ways of the South, both its grand traditions and its darkest secrets.
 
For Fannie’s own family history is fraught with tragedy, hidden behind the closed rooms in her ornate Uptown mansion. It will take Ibby’s arrival to begin to unlock the mysteries there. And it will take Queenie and Dollbaby’s hard-won wisdom to show Ibby that family can sometimes be found in the least expected places."
 
This would be a good book if you liked The Help.

Up next

Still haven't comitted to Ashfall, and I really don't know what I'll pick up next at home. I have been considering the second in the Name the Star series (mostly because I'll be talking about that book Friday in class). We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment