Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Times They Are a Changin'

As an English teacher, most people would probably assume that I would automatically say that textese is bad. But as with anything in this world, I don't think it is a black/white issue. In other words, I have mixed feelings about it.

What it boils down to is that I think there is a time and place for textese. An email to your boss and a text to your BFF are two very different things .You naturally (and it's usually done subconsciously) talk differently to me than you would one fo your friends in the hallway. So, it would be natural to write differently to the two groups. So, I have no problem with textese if it is used in the correct manner. Putting it in a resume or a formal paper (unless it is a paper discussing textese obviously_ may not be the best thing. But using it in a short story while describing texts from teens or to talk to your friend? That's OK (that being said - I never use it in texts or Tweets, but that's the copy editor coming out in me).

English changes. The world changes. People change. It's just the way it is. It always has. English is a living, breathing creature and it should be OK (and welcomed and encouraged) for it to change, have new uses, and have new words added t0 it. Having it change helps ensure that our language is current.

Change is not bad - change is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment