Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Too public

I've had trouble writing about today's topic. I started off first hour fine, read through it third, and didn't like it.

I was rambling, not making sense, and kinda doing what I was saying I didn't like about all of this in the first place.

I'll be honest - I haven't watched ANY of the coverage about the shootings at all. I read the basic facts about the shooting on Friday, but I haven't clicked on any links on Facebook or Twitter. And, I haven't watched any news reports either.

It's not that I don't care, but the 24-hour news cycle makes this entire thing into a circus and a zoo - and this is coming from someone whose paycheck kinda depended on the news cycle. I don't think it's right that little kids - who were in shock from the traumatic situation - had a microphone stuck in their face. I don't think it's right that every little move from anyone involved is documented.

They're people dealing with a huge tragedy with huge emotions. It's personal. It's not public. Yes, the event that caused those emotions was public - but the aftermath is not.

We don't need to forget. But don't drag them into it.

Let them be. Let them grieve and start to heal in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment