Tuesday, December 11, 2012

An Inspiration

Usually, I write about the same topics you guys do for quick writes. Today, however, I didn't.

I sat and wrote a Christmas letter to my 10th grade English teacher - someone who had an enormous impact on my life (and would probably beat me if she knew I was writing about her).

I had heard about Ms. Sklavos my entire life; she and my grandma worked at the high school, and she also knew my mom. In seventh grade, when she saw my mom sitting outside a door waiting for conferences, she came running down the hall to give her a hug because she knew that meant she was going to get me in a few years. From the things my mom and grandma said about her, I knew I was going to love her instantly - and I did.

Ms. Sklavos would throw books at me constantly. She was the one who gave me my first taste of Catcher in the Rye and Flowers for Algernon. Not to mention she was another female who loved Hemingway (there aren't many of us out there). I had already started to love Hemingway in middle school thanks to my English teacher then, Mr. Fisher. But now I had another person to stoke the fire I have for Papa (seriously - he's my favorite author of all times. Read some of his stuff; it's great. Don't tell me if you don't like it, though, because I couldn't handle hearing that).

She had a passion for reading and writing that made me want to continue to do better and to grow in those areas. Shakespeare made sense to me because of her (and I think about her the entire Romeo and Juliet unit because I don't want to let her down). She could talk to you endlessly about any author, any story and any book and bring up points you never thought were possible. She challenged me constantly, and I grew by bounds as a writer that year; I became more of a risk-taker with my writing all because she gave me the confidence to do so.

She was actually the teacher who urged me to become a writer. My response to her: But, writers don't make any money!  So, she told me to be a reporter. And I listened. (And then obviously I veered off that path, but I wouldn't be a teacher today if it weren't for people like her and Mr. Fisher). Even though I did veer off, I'm glad I listened to her. It gave me great experiences and made me grow. I don't think without those years at a newspaper, I'd be able to teach like I do today.

Obviously, Ms. Sklavos was a big inspiration to me. My original career path started because of her, and I try my hardest every day to teach with the amount of passion she had for English. Every year I write her at Christmas, and this summer, I actually met her for lunch. She's extremely proud of me that I've become a teacher (even though she's sad that I stopped writing because according to her I was a beautiful writer). She said that it was the biggest compliment to her that I am doing exactly what she did for me years ago. Of course, that only puts more pressure on me everyday because I don't want to let her legacy down.

I'm not writing this because I want all of you to one day say that I'm your inspiration. I hope that you will find someone in your lifetime that will mean as much to you as Ms. Sklavos meant to me. She is a fabulous person, and I'm lucky to still be in touch with her today.

No comments:

Post a Comment