Friday, December 7, 2012

Remembering the Day that Will Live in Infamy

In grade school, I was slightly obsessed with Pearl Harmor. I remember writing a report; reading as many books as I could on it; having mock World War II battles with friends at recess (yes, we were dorks). I felt more connected to it because my great uncle was there on the USS Nevada - and even had the limp tor prove it.

But, my memories and obsession with it faded. I watched the movie when it came out in 2001, and it brought back some of those memories. It had just become another day to me, though. I remember 9-11 being compared to it, but I have to admit, I have given little thought to it since then.

Reading this article, though, has allowed those memories to resurface, and now my understanding of it has grown exponentially - in just those few minutes it took me to read the article that first time. It was what I remembered 9-11 to be. The confusion. The rumors. The panic. The disbelief. It was all there.

Even though I knew all about Pearl Harbor as a kid, I didn't understand. Now that I've read this first-hand account, I get it. I get it because I experienced something similar to it for 9-11. The panic and the wondering make sense now because I've felt that. Many of us can now understand what it was like for cour country on Dec. 7, 1941. Before, we really couldn't - no matter what we said. Now we can emphathize, and I now feel horrible for those who have had to experience two attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment