Monday, December 2, 2013

What I'm Reading Monday - It's been a while

So, it has been three weeks since I've done a reading post. Oops. Probably because I was working on my word count (I didn't even come close to 50K words, but oh well). So, there's going to be plenty of books in this post.

School

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins: This is a reread. I realized when I was at the movie, I forgot most of what happened in the book. So, I started with The Hunger Games, and I'm going to re-read all three. Let's hope that this time I don't get as mad at Mockingjay.

Home

Still plugging away at The Bone Season. And by plugging away, I mean I've been lucky if I've read a chapter a week. I am a slacker.


Finished

The Hunger Games: Still liked it on the second read, and it still kept me on the edge of my seat. That's the real sign of a good book. This time, though, I had the movie characters pictured. I don't always like that.

Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich: If you can't tell by the title, this is the 20th book in the Stephanie Plum series. Evanovich's books always make me laugh. And this one was one different. I am getting tired of Stephanie not being able to pick between Ranger and Joe. 

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
This was the one I did a book talk on with the opening scene of the kid getting decapitated at Disneyland. It really was funny and I highly suggest it.

The Raft by S.A. Bodeen
I did a book talk on this one, too. She wrote The Compound. This one keeps you in the story just as much as The Compound did. However, I noticed that there are some holes in her writing. Nothing huge and nothing that would stop me from reading more of her stuff. But, enough that I noticed.

Soup by Jon Gordon
We read this as a staff book study book. A former student looked at it and said "Knipper, this is not a you book. Are you feeling OK?" It's pretty touchy feely, so I'll leave it at that.

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
I understand why so many people were in an uproar over the ending of this book. However, I felt it really worked and wrapped up the entire series. I get why people were upset, but we don't always get our way or wishes in a series (honestly, I was more upset about Hedwig dying. That still makes me mad). And it definitely wasn't anything that would urge me to send death threats (I didn't even send a strongly worded letter about Hedwig, so death threats are pretty much out of the question for about anything - especially if it is in a book.)

No comments:

Post a Comment