Monday, September 9, 2013

Students' Voices

It isn't easy to hand over the reins to other people. Especially when we, as adults, don't think that teens/kids know what they're talking about. How could they? They don't have life experiences or general life wisdom.

But, they aren't complete idiots. They know what works for them, which is why I think students should have some say in their education.

I'm not saying they should sit down and tell teachers what they need to do or write the curriculum on their own, but it doesn't hurt to hear what they have to add. Sometimes, it could be more helpful than a bunch of "oldsters" hanging out for a day determining the next 180 days for 14-year-olds.

At the end of every unit, my students do a reflection on their writing. One of the questions I include on this is "What could I have done differently as your teacher to help you be more successful in this unit?" (And saying "Not make me do it" is clearly stated as not being an option for an answer.). This simple question has helped me frequently since I've added it in. Being an "expert" or having done the unit so often, there are things I overlook. Things that I take for granted because they are obvious to me or done so often, I don't think it needs to be taught. That question and answers clue me in to what I've missed. I've also been given ideas on teaching techniques that could help some kids that are different from my normal style. This feedback is a great gauge for me to determine what I'm doing is effective.

So, while some of the suggestions may be off the wall, some of them are helpful. And, I'll continue asking for your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment