Monday, December 8, 2014

Reading Week in Review - Lots of Reading

I apparently focused most of my free time on reading last week. But, I also only focused on one book at a time, which I usually don't do.

At school

Shooting Kabul - I got so caught up in the other books I was reading last week, I didn't touch this one. I'm determined to finish it this week.

At home

The Void by JD Horn - This is the third in a trilogy. It takes place in Savannah, GA, and is about a family of witches who have had several obstacles in the past year.

Finished

Fatal Puzzle by Catherine Shepherd - I got this book as a "Kindle First." Every month, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you get a choice of one of four free books for your Kindle. I chose poorly this month. This book goes between modern times in a German village and 500 years before. Both time periods are experiencing a rash of murders, and the ones in modern times look very similar to the previous ones. There were a lot of holes in the story, and a lot of things just didn't make sense. It was very rushed, and not well explained. Would not recommend this book AT ALL.

Althea & Oliver by Cristina Morchado - I LOVED this book. It's a lot like Eleanor & Park, but a little more "angry" in some ways. But I loved it even more than E&P; except the ending. I didn't get upset about the ending for E&P but this one is in the same vein. Unlike E&P, though, I was very unhappy with the ending. I don't think it ended with as much hope, and that never makes me happy. I really, really, really recommend this book!

Jackaby by William Ritter - This book's cover drew me in; it was definitely intriguing. It was also described as a cross between Sherlock and Doctor Who, and since I like both of those things - I thought this would be a good book to check out. I got the Sherlock right away because Jackaby is definitely a New England version of the eccentric, brilliant detective. But I'm not exactly sure where Doctor Who comes in. Yes, there's some supernatural/science-fictiony stuff in the quest to find out who has been committing gruesome crimes. It was great to see how Jackaby thought through the murders, although just like Sherlock - you aren't given all the clues or given all the facts that are floating through Jackaby's mind. But, just like Sherlock, it still gives you enough to keep working through it and wondering what will happen next. I do think the ending got drug on a little more past the solution to the case than needed be, but it wasn't fully horrible. Definitely would recommend.

Big Little Lies by Laine Moriarty - This was really interesting. It starts way before the major conflict and counts down to "Trivia Night." So, it keeps you wondering what happens that's so bad on trivia night that a lot of parents need to talk to the police and give testimony about the "incident." Jane is new to the Pirriwee area, and her son [Ziggy] is going to start at the local elementary school. She has no idea what drama awaits her. On orientation day, Ziggy - despite insisting that he did nothing - is accused of hitting/bullying a little girl. This builds and builds throughout the year, culminating in parents trying to get Ziggy expelled. And then you finally find out what happens on that ill-fated trivia night. Lots of drama. Lots of insanity. Lots of hidden problems behind closed doors in this town. Definitely keeps your interest.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - I didn't think I would like this book at all because it's a romance book. But, it's a GOOD story. It's well written and very realistic. In some ways, it reminded me of the love story between Eleanor and Park. I highly recommend reading this story of Anna who is forced to go to boarding school her senior year in Paris.

Sleepwalking by Meg Wolitzer - This was her first book, and from reading her later stuff, it is very evident she has built on her quality of work since then. This felt very incomplete, and I didn't connect to any of the characters. Not my favorite of hers. I just couldn't get behind the three girls who are obsessed with dead poets - so much so it takes over their lives. And the story only focuses on one of them, and it isn't always clear what she's doing.

Up next

Not sure, honestly. I'm just trying to carve down those to-be-read piles. Unfortunately, since the English department is going to the Scholastic Warehouse sale on Thursday, I'm afraid they'll only get bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment