Monday, January 13, 2014

What I'm Reading Monday - Home Sick, but didn't read much

You would think I'd have massive list of books I'd finished with a "too cold" day and three days home sick. But I don't read when I'm sick - it makes my brain hurt. So, I didn't read much during the week but with my internet not working at home on Sunday - I didn't have much else to do. I ended up getting more read than I thought.

At school

Legend by Marie Lu - I think I may have hit my limit for a while with dystopian "teens against the world" books for a while. Everyone that I know who has read this loves the series, but I'm not that excited about it. I suppose it doesn't help that I didn't read it for more than a week because of being gone.

At home

I honestly finished my book (last one one the finished list) right before I went to bed last night, so I'm not reading anything at home at the moment.

Finished

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes - The book starts off during WWI until the main character is sent to a German prisoner camp. The last 2/3 of the book though, deal with a painting of her that is the center of a court battle. There has been precedence that items stolen by the Nazis during WWII are given back to the families of the original owners; however, in this book, it hasn't been set for items from WWI. It flashes forward to the present and our new main character has a painting of the woman from WWI in her possession, and now she's being forced to possibly give it up by law. The remainder of the book shows how she deals with it because it was a wedding gift to her from her husband who is now deceased. I didn't like this as much as Me Without You but it was still a really good read.

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton - This is a "classic" that I should have read but never did. Mrs. Longman started it last week and was talking about how much she liked it. It's very short and doesn't take long to read. The story centers around Ethan who is married but develops strong feelings toward his wife's cousin - who is living with the couple. The story culminates in Ethan and Mattie (the cousin) making a decision that deeply affects the trio for the rest of their lives. It shows a battle of doing what's right vs. following your heart. 

Starters by Lissa Price - I got this book last week because it was $2.99 for Kindle. I started reading it yesterday when our internet wasn't fully functional. It's another dystopian book, but teens (starters) are very, very limited in what they can do - and most have been orphaned during the spore war, which attacked mostly middle aged people. So, the world has been left to young people and senior citizens (enders), who have created very strict rules for the starters. And now, they can rent teens' bodies to relive their youth. But as Callie - a starter - finds out, there's something a little more evil to the entire plot.

Enders by Lissa Price - The internet was still down when I finished Starters, so I went ahead and got Enders so I could find out what happened (because of course, it ended with a cliffhanger). I was not as impressed with this one as the first. I thought there were a lot of holes in the story, and it jumped around a lot without explaining things very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment