Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My Happiest Place on Earth

The excitement is palatable as you walk through the security lines and scan your card. You're almost trembling waiting to get in through the gates. Waiting to go past the station and the flower arrangement just takes too long. And there are too many people.

But then it happens.

You walk through the tunnel, and then it's there in all of its glory. Peeking up over the rest of the attractions and yet towering. It represents everything happy, everything good, and everything exciting.

You've made it back, so you stalk a photographer and get a picture to capture the moment in front of that magical castle.

When it comes to going to Disney World, I'm as bad as a little kid. I absolutely love it! I get insanely giddy tow months out, so by the time we finally get there, I could be mistaken for a five-year-old because I'm bouncing around in my seat, barely able to control myself. It's a magical place, and every minute is better than the next.

While I love everything about going there, the rides actually take a back seat to the food. It's a one-way ticket to Gluttonville for me. Appetizers, main courses, and desserts - I don't miss a course. I savor each bite and let the smell and taste linger as long as I can. I will judge a restaurant by its deserts alone (well, and maybe the quality of the crab cakes). So, if they have melt-in-your mouth chocolate cake (hello, Cap'n Jack's), your restaurant will quickly move to the top of my list. Sadly, The Brown Derby is lacking in the desert quality, but the rest of the food makes me go into a food coma immediately - so in the long run, it's still up at the top of the list.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the rides, too. I do have to avoid some of them though because I get horrible motion sickness. As much as I used to love roller coasters, it's not worth stumbling around hoping you're not going to keel over in the bushes after getting off Space Mountain. Put me on the Rockin' Roller Coaster, though, and I'm giggling like a little girl. I don't understand why one ride (that's similar to the other) makes me want to die and the other gives me a shot of adrenaline. But, then again, I am frequently a walking paradox.

Even though I love Rockin' Roller Coaster, my favorite ride is probably Buzz Lightyear. It plays into my competitive spirit and makes me cackle with glee. I may have even made "pew pew" noises while shooting the evil aliens. The best part is that my husband has yet to beat my high score on it. Granted, I was greatly helped since we stopped moving, and I managed to zone in on a very high point target. But, hey, he was sitting right next to me so it was fair. He could have gotten it, too. I've obviously handled this title very maturely. See - just another example of me acting like a kid there!

I do get nostalgic at Magic Kingdom, too. I cannot miss riding Peter Pan any time we're at the park. Peter Pan has always been my favorite Disney character. He teaches us to make sure we never lose our childlike spirit, and that's exactly what Disney World and Disneyland try to show us. It's hard not to regain some of that child's excitement while "flying" over London.

This trip is going to be a little different. Now I get to run through the parks (well, Magic Kingdom and Epcot). And, even crazier is I'm going to be in costume. I don't like dressing up. I've never liked Halloween, because I just find it to be a pain in the rear. So, I was probably the most surprised when I realized I was shopping around for bits and pieces to look like Disney characters for the 5K and the half marathon. I figure if there's one place you can get away with looking like a sparkly fool  - it's Disney. Plus, it's going to help keeping me going for all 13.1 miles on that early, early Saturday morning (I will be getting up before most of you go to bed on Friday night).

Each little bit of Disney is magical. There's nothing not to like there - even if I do have favorites. There is one thing I don't like, though - leaving.

Because, even though I'm usually exhausted and half awake when we leave to go home, it's always bittersweet to leave Disney. There, I have no worries, cares or responsibilities  It's a week of pure fun and joy. I get to be a kid again. But, as soon as I step back on Mickey's magical Express, reality starts to sink in. In only a few more hours, it'll be time to take care of the crazy furballs, line up lesson plans and head back into the pit to teach. But, that dose of reality only makes Disney even more magical the next time you drive up and see the castle peeking out over the park - just inviting you in to your own imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment