Monday, August 25, 2014

IMWAYR - FIrst edition of the 2014-2015 school year

Some of the bloggers/teachers I follow on Twitter started a hashtag - #IMWAYR (It's Monday, what are you reading?). So, I decided on Mondays, I would do a post on what I've read during the past week, what I'm reading now, and what I plan to read next. I meant to post the books I read this summer last week, but I forgot, but I will eventually do that (it shouldn't be too hard since I have the books I emailed out during the summer).

At work

Thanks to doing SSR in class on Friday, I finished the book I was reading. So, I'll be starting Grave Mercy by Robin LavFevers (the first in His Fair Assassin series) today. Ismae (all of this is from the back) has escaped an arranged marriage and finds safety at a convent. She learns that she has been "blessed" by the god of Death to have violent gifts and destiny. Basically, she's an assassin. 

At home

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein - This takes place during WWII. An American pilot is working with the English women's auxiliary when she manages to fly into German airspace. She is captured and has to spend six months in a women's work camp/concentration camp. Even though it isn't one of the death camps, conditions are still brutal. Little food, tons of people, random beatings. This has been a very interesting read so far.

Audiobook

This summer, I started to listen to audiobooks while I was walking or doing housework. I've learned that the narrator makes a HUGE difference, and that I have a harder time getting into a book this way. I didn't realize how much I reread and how much I skim when I read (I sometimes skip over background information, and I rarely read the attribution for dialog. It's amazing how much difference this makes.) Right now, I'm listening to Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Love has been outlawed because it makes people crazy, so all marriages are arranged and people are "cured"/prevented from falling in love. I'm not that far into this one, but the narrator is probably the best I've heard so far this summer, and that has helped tremendously with me getting into the book

Finished

If I Stay by Gayle Forman - I don't plan on going to see the movie, but from what I've seen on the previews, a lot has been added to the movie. Mia has a snow day from school, and she and her family are out driving. A car slams into them, and ends up with her parents and brother dying - and Mia is in the ICU. The book is written from Mia's perspective as she looks down on herself while she's fighting for her life. She has flashbacks from her life with her family and boyfriend. And ultimately, the decision for her to live or die is up to her spirit. This really isn't my type of book, but it was an OK read.

Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz - Yanek (Jacob) is a teen in Krakow, Poland, when the Nazis invade in 1939. He and his family are moved into the Jewish ghetto by the Nazis, and then he moves around to 10 different concentration camps throughout the war. This is based on a true story. I personally thought that they didn't focus enough on one aspect of it, which watered down the story. It still shows the horrible conditions but it could have been better.

Conversion by Katherine Howe - This story takes place in a private girls' school in Massachusetts in 2012. Suddenly, a bunch of the girls come down with mysterious diseases - seizures, hair falling out, massive headaches, throwing up pins. No one knows what is causing it, and more and more girls are getting weird symptoms. It becomes a national story, and all the while, Colleen is starting to draw parallels to this story and the Salem Witch trials - which took place in the school's town (even though it has been renamed). The story is also interspersed with some narratives from the trials. I really liked this book. I started reading it, and the next thing I knew it was an hour later. I thought the ending was a little rushed and lacked real explanation - but it was still a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment