Monday, April 7, 2014

IMWAYR - In a reading funk

It's been a struggle with reading this week; everything I've been reading hasn't gotten excited. So, I've been avoiding it. I'm hoping I can find some books this week that I really enjoy.

School
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain - This really isn't my type of book. It reminds me of Tim O'Brien's works but it hasn't sucked me in. Billy Lynn is a hero of the Iraq War; he and his company have been touring the nation to build up morale and show that the war is successful. The book takes place during one day when the company has gone to the Thanksgiving game at Cowboys stadium. I don't like the writing style, and with all the flashbacks to what has happened since he's been home make it drag for me.

Home

Finished
Going Over by Beth Kephart - Book talked. This was the one that took place in Berlin in 1983 with two storylines that connect on either side of the Berlin Wall. I highly recommend this one.

Hemingway’s Girl by Erika Robuck - I had to force myself to finish this one. It was not very good at all. I thought it was poorly written and a little mushy for me. I wouldn't recommend this one, so I'm not giving many details about it.

Swim by Jennifer Weiner - This was another Kindle single/short story. My complaints are the same as the previous ones I've read. I just got into and then it ended. It is based off a book she has written that I have yet to read, but I didn't like that it really seemed to leave off in the middle. But, it will drive me to read the book, so I guess it is a good marketing tool.

Up Next
Mrs. Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn
Origin by Jessica Khoury

No comments:

Post a Comment